Sunday, August 16, 2015

Orientation Week Festivities

Well folks, week one of Craft is just about in the bag. It's been a whirlwind of a week. Everyday has been crammed full of things to do, places to be, and people to meet. We've been so busy that even Dr. Christian admitted that once we start classes we will probably have more free time than what we had this past week. Even so, this week has not been without memorable moments. I apologize if this post is a bit rambling, but it's hard to organize this week into a blog post. Also, I haven't taken many photos so this post is going to be mostly text.


Move in day was crazy, probably just because it was move in day. As the volunteers brought Rebekah's and my stuff up to the room, I could just feel my blood pressure rising. All of our crates, and boxes, and family just filled the room to the complete maximum. Somehow, by the combined wisdom of my mother and Rebekah's we got everything put away and organized. I'm still not entirely sure how we did it, but we did.


Before all the parents left that evening there was an induction ceremony. A video had been prepared with pictures of all the students and their favorite quotes. After that, Dr. Ratliff called us each by name. We walked across the stage in Button Auditorium to Dr. Christian and President Andrews. They presented us with a beautiful Morehead State pin and certificate of induction. Every student hand their photo taken with them, and I think standing between Dr. Christian and President Andrews with my Craft Academy Certificate in my hand was one of the proudest moments of my life. 

After the induction ceremony there was a reception and then it was time for the parents to leave. It definitely wasn't easy seeing my parents walk back across campus, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Honestly, I haven't really been homesick at all this past week. I know the homesickness will hit me at some point, probably when classes start getting tough, but I know that this is where I'm supposed to be. If I work hard, I can make it.

We didn't do much the following two days, except sit in handbook sessions. We had a couple dance parties, which no one danced at. They put on a laser show at the Space Science Center, and then we got to take a tour of the facility. It was really cool because the tour was led by a former Gatton Academy student who now studies and works here at Morehead.

They opened up the high ropes course for us at the Recreation Center; unfortunately, the group that I was with wasn't able to do the course because we ran out of time.

The Craft Academy staff also put on a scavenger hunt for us where we went all over campus. The picture above, is the view of my dorm from Claypool-Young Art Building.

 We also got to take a tour of some on the more cultural aspects of downtown Morehead, including The Kentucky Center for Traditional Music.

I think my favorite day this week has been Friday. Rebekah and I got up early to take advantage of the activities they have going on for incoming freshman. We're really not freshman, but we are, but we aren't, but we are. I don't know what we are. It's confusing sometimes. Anyways, we got up early to go see the magician and speaker Curtis Zimmerman. It was a fabulous show. We played Simon Says, he taught us to draw a circle and a square at the same time, and we learned to juggle. We even got a free set of juggling balls. Not only did we have a great time, but he also gave us some really great advice on how to survive college.


There was also a student organization fair that evening. We were able to get a lot of information about the BCM, the MSC, and FFA, but Rebekah and I may or may not have joined the College Republicans Society. We're still not sure if we did, but we do know that there's now a Republican sign hanging on our dorm door. So that's success, I guess.


That same evening, we went to see a hypnotist. The Student Events Council had set this up, and it was one of the funniest shows I ever saw. I'm not sure I still believe in hypnotism or not, but it was definitely interesting.

Today, all the student ministries on campus came together to put on a non-denominational service. From what I understand, this happens every year on move in weekend. It was really neat to see all the different student ministries come together to worship God. There were Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Catholics, and who knows what else that came together to praise God.

After that, my friends and I all walked over to the BCM for the picnic. The BCM here is so welcoming. There were several people that came up to us to introduce themselves and make sure that we felt welcomed. Unfortunately, because of study hour requirements and curfew, it's going to be hard for me to be a part of really any campus ministry. I'm still hopeful, though, that I'll be able to make it to a few events.

Overall, I've had an amazing week here at Morehead. The campus is beautiful, the people are friendly, the food is good. I guess you couldn't really ask for more in a college. Classes start tomorrow, and I'm a little (read a lot) nervous. Even so, I'm excited to get down to work. This week has been fun, but it's going to be so much better when I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something.

I guess I'm just feeling very thankful. I'm thankful that Mr. Joe Craft was willing to donate his money, that Senate Adkins was willing to back it politically, that President Andrews is so supportive, and that Dr. Christian has worked so hard. Sure all these people have made it possible for there to be a program on campus like this, but I think the people who've made it possible for me to be in this program are my parents. I am extremely thankful for them. They have always supported me. Even when I thought I wasn't smart enough, they kept assuring me that I am. They have loved me, and driven me, and told me that I can be anything I want to be. Even though I'm an hour away at school, I know that they love me very dearly and I love them.


1 comment: